Hola! My name is Donna Rubio and I am a Spanish teacher at Point Loma High School. You may hear me referred to as "Profe Rubio." I love teaching Spanish and I am passionate about making the process of acquiring language a seemingly effortless and fun experience for students. I have been teaching at PLHS for over 20 years and I continue to love my job and my students.
Here is a little bit about me:
- I grew up in Ocean Beach and continue to live there.
- I'm married and have a seven year old daughter who keeps me very busy.
- As a child I attended Silver Gate Elementary, Dana Jr. High, Correia Jr. High. I also graduated from Point Loma High (go PL!)
- I graduated from the University of Notre Dame with a double major in Spanish and English and a minor in Latin American Studies. While in college I participated in two study abroad programs, one in Guadalajara, Mexico and one in Mexico City.
- I received my MA in Spanish from The Ohio State University where I also taught Spanish 101.
- I taught English for a year in Costa Rica and then returned to San Diego where I received my teaching credential from National University.
- I have spent summers in Spain, Peru and Ecuador and enjoyed shorter trips to other Latin American and Caribbean countries. I love getting to know the people and cultures of the different places I visit.
- I enjoy attending onferences to get new ideas and to network with other great language teachers.
- I have been on the Textbook Adoption Committee and the District World Language Curriculum Team helping to develop the curriculum guide, benchmarks and district final exams for first, second and third year Spanish, as well as the Seal of Bi-literacy exam.
- In my free time I enjoy spending time with my family, reading, and occasionally binge watching programs on Hulu or Netflix.
Thank you for your support,