- Ms. Teresita Martin, Attendance Clerk
call 619-860-5000, x3023 or email [email protected]
- Ms. Julie Lundy, Attendance support
619-860-5000, x3020 or email [email protected]
Any absence not cleared within three days by a parent will become an unexcused absence. Unexcused and unverified absences will affect a student’s citizenship grades. To assist parents, we continually review and improve our attendance procedures to give parents many avenues for clearing their student’s absence. We use the School Messenger system to call parents to inform them of student absences from one or more classes. Staff will also make calls to the home or to a parent’s work location to inform them of absences in an effort to clear an absence.PARENTS MUST CONTACT THE ATTENDANCE OFFICE EACH DAY THEIR CHILD IS ABSENT.
- The name and grade level of the student – please spell the last name
- The reason for the absence
- Parent’s name and relationship to the student, and
- A phone number for verification purposes.
If the student’s absence is confirmed by phone on the day(s) of the absence, the student may report directly to class upon returning to school. The student is responsible for clearing his/her own period absences. If a student feels an error has been made, he/she contacts their teacher (outside of class time) and asks for a correction.
Legally Excused Absences (CA Ed Code 48205, 48216, 48211, 49451, 46010.1)A student may be excused legally from school when the absence is for the following reasons:
- Due to his/her illness
- Due to quarantine under the direction of a county or city health officer
- Medical, dental, optometric or chiropractic appointments
- Attending the funeral services of a member of his/her immediate family (one day if in California and not more than three days if outside of California)
- Jury duty as provided by law
- Illness or medical appointment during school hours of a child of whom the student is the custodial parent
- Exclusion for failure to present evidence of immunizations
- Exclusion from school because a student is either the carrier of a contagious disease or not immunized from a contagious disease
- Students in grades 7-12 who leave school (with prior approval of the Principal or his/her designee) to obtain confidential medical services. The student is to return a copy of the medical professional’s appointment verification form.
- Upon written request of the parent or guardian and prior approval of the Principal or his/her designee and pursuant to board policy, a student’s absence may be excused for justifiable personal reasons, including, but not limited to:
- an appearance in court,
- attendance at a funeral service,
- observance of a holiday or ceremony of his or her religion,
- attendance at religious retreats
- or attendance at an employment or educational conference, when the pupil’s absence has been requested in writing by the parent or guardian and approved by the principal or a designated representative pursuant to uniform standards established by the governing board.
- Serving as a member of a precinct board for an election pursuant to Section 12302 of the Elections Code.