College Check List
• Focus on your GPA
(One of the most critical factors in the college admissions process.)
• Seek leadership roles in favorite activities
Consistency and quality, not quantity.
• Take the PSAT (fall)
Opt-in to receive information from colleges.
• Attend PLHS college prep seminars, take an SAT test-prep class
• Consider taking SAT subject tests with AP classes
• Register for SAT/ACT.
Focus your efforts on your preferred test, take it more than once.
• Attend college fairs; talk with recruiters & admission counselors, take college tours
• Research & apply for college scholarships
• Refine list of potential colleges
(Use website tools: collegedata.com, bigfuture.com, etc.)
• Use the FAFSA financial aid estimator
• Review list of college choices with your Counselor and get suggestions for others
• Decide whether to apply for early action or early decision at a particular college
• Prepare a summary/resume
GPA, awards, activities, leadership roles, jobs, etc.
• Letter of recommendation: consider whom to ask
• Begin writing college application essays
• Register for/begin the common application
The above is a check list of items Pointer Families want to consider throughout the High School Journey. These items are no’t in any particular order. You can print a copy using the PDF below.