Welcome to Point Loma High School, an award winning school with a tradition of excellence in academics, music, the arts, drama, and extra-curricular activities. PLHS is an exciting place to be since opportunities for growth and learning abound here. Become involved in all aspects of high school life and add to its proud traditions.
As you read the catalog, plan to make the most of your high school career. Your four years of high school will pass quickly by. Choose challenging academic classes and our practical arts courses and also take time to study the requirements for graduation and college admissions. Our course offerings reflect the district goal of giving each student the opportunity to meet the UC/CSU “A-G” requirements so that each student will have the option to attend a 4-year university upon graduation from PLHS.
The staff at Point Loma and I are here to help you succeed, and we look forward to getting to know you and supporting you throughout your years as a Pointer. Read further in this catalog about the myriad opportunities for academic support PL offers students which include an inventive schedule with built-in study & tutorial times to after school options. Point Loma is a place where you can feel connected to school, take on academic challenges, and grow in community mindedness and global awareness. Our goal for you is that upon graduation you will leave with the confidence that you are ready to make a difference in the world.
Hans Becker, Principal
The Point Loma Staff and community set high expectations for scholarship and citizenship for all students, and we hold our students accountable for demonstrating achievement of the PLHS Expected School wide Learning Results (ESLRs), as well as meeting State and district content and performance standards. As students complete their education at Point Loma High, they will develop the skills to be:
• Complex Thinkers who identify, analyze, integrate and apply information to develop solutions to problems.
• Effective Communicators who read, write, speak, and listen reflectively and critically as well as receive and interpret the messages of others in an effective manner.
• Healthy Life Style Advocates who establish, practice and support appropriate hygiene, proper nutrition, and lifelong physical fitness as well as demonstrate skills in resolving conflicts through positive, non-violent actions.
• Involved Citizens who contribute time, energy, and talents to improve the quality of life in their school, community, state, nation, and the world.
• Responsible Self Directed Learners and Workers who work independently and overcome obstacles by effective application of skills until a task is complete.
POINT LOMA HIGH SCHOOL
STATE DISTINGUISHED SCHOOL
2335 CHATSWORTH BLVD
SAN DIEGO , CA 92106-1699
(619) 860-5000 FAX (619) 225-1298