To provide students with a comprehensive, rigorous education in a nurturing environment and to motivate them to fulfill their academic, athletic, and personal potential in preparation or college and career.
- Average enrollment is about 1,988 students.
97 Teachers on our Faculty.
5 full time Academic Counselors.
By The Numbers
- Please refer to the CA Department of Education Website for results: http://api.cde.ca.gov/reports/API/APISearchName.asp?TheYear=&cTopic=API&cLevel=School&cName=point^loma&cCounty=&cTimeFrame=S
Accelerated academic options include:
- AP (Possible College credit if you pass the AP Exam, Weighted Grade)
- Honors (Weighted Grade)
- Advanced (Accelerated Curriculum)
Onsite Academic Support
- ADVISORY classes for all 9th grade students and upperclassman with grades below a “C” or low GPA or Citizenship.
- LINK CREW: Leadership opportunities for upper classmen to mentor freshmen students.
- After School Tutoring: The ARC program offers after school tutoring in the library media center. The schedule is Monday through Thursday from 2:30 to 4:30 and Fridays from 2:30 to 3:30.
- All teachers offer tutoring and office hours. Students can check teacher websites or syllabus for individual schedules.
- OTHER: AVID Program, Special Education Services/Department, English Learner Program/Department, Gifted and Talented. Click on a subject to link to that Department.
- PLHS unique intervention-RtI Program.
College Readiness & Placement
- PSAT testing offered.
- SAT Prep Class & Boot Camp offered on campus.
Future Site Modernization
PLHS is developing a long range site modernization plan. We are working with the students, staff, parents and community. Some of the planned projects include new classrooms, new labs, new athletic facilities, ADA access, increase green space and outdoor classrooms. Work may start as early as 2017.
PLHS is a leader in planning for the Point Loma Cluster. Vertical teaming and unified vision is foundational in our work. We have seen dynamic results from this collaboration from Dana, to Correia, then to PLHS. Our common core work has influenced the way classes will be aligned with rigor and course offerings at all levels. Alignment of pathways include academics, career focus, languages other than English, Visual and Performing Arts.