VAPA (Visual and Performing Arts)
- PLHS students have the option to take art, ceramics, photography, & theater.
- We offer AP Art History, AP Studio Art and AP Music Theory.
- 2013 - Compassionate Classroom Award - for a PSA "Dear Sea World" from PETA
- 2013 - 2009 IVIE AWARDS - Innovative Videos in Education
- PLHS Cinematic Arts and Video production classes are the ONLY program in the SDUSD to have finalist in the IVIE's 5 years in a row. (San Diego Region)
- 2013-2009 - San Diegans Waste No Water Film Contest
- PLHS Cinematic Arts and Video production classes are the ONLY program in the SDUSD to have finalist in the Waste No Water Film Contest 3 years in a row.
- 2012 - PLHS won the contest competing against College film students. The winning PSA played in AMC Theaters over the Summer.
- 2009 - PLHS won the contest competing against college film students. The winning PSA played in AMC Theaters over the Summer.
- (San Diego Region - HS and College Film Contest)
- 2012 - Hollywood Screenplay Contest - Gold Prize Winner: “Fantasy Fanatics” written by Anthony Palmiotto (National Competion)
- 2011 - Star Teacher Award - Anthony Palmiotto - from the IVIE Awards program
Every year the program offers Internship opportunities for students. Students have worked with the Park Rangers creating a promotional video for the Cabrillo National Monument, and made televised news pieces interviewing various local politicians such as Jerry Sanders, Donna Frye, Nathan Fletcher and Kevin Faulconer. Link to classes offered.
The Art Department and its students are involved in many community projects, beautifications and displays around Point Loma.
- On campus Art Shows are being planned with a PLHS gallery.
- Beautification projects by arts students can be found all over campus.
- PLHS Art Students receive scholarships to top art colleges.
Link to classes offered.